Alexander R. Bilus
Alexander (Sandy) R. Bilus represents clients facing complex commercial litigation across a variety of industries, including higher education and financial services. His experience includes arguing cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and assisting with argument preparation for cases before the U.S. Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. He also advises clients involved in defamation cases and facing government investigations.
Select representations include:
Higher education matters
- Assisting in the defense of Pennsylvania State University in civil litigation matters stemming from claims brought by the alleged sexual abuse victims of Jerry Sandusky as well as multiple and overlapping legal proceedings, including civil and administrative matters.
- Advised a large public university on changes to vaccination policies.
Commercial and Appellate Litigation
- Represented an insurance carrier before the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court in an appeal over change in status of benefits for an injured employee.
- Represented an individual before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit after adverse jury verdict.
- Represented a group of judges before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit in challenge to a provision of Pennsylvania Constitution.
- Represented a group of individuals before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court in challenge to provision of Pennsylvania Constitution.
- Assisted with argument preparation on behalf of petitioners before the U.S. Supreme Court challenging the validity of portions of a bankruptcy statute on First Amendment grounds.
- Assisted with argument preparation on behalf of a respondent before the U.S. Supreme Court challenging the government’s interpretation of a U.S. Trustee’s duty to object to exemptions under the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented multiple mutual fund complexes in litigation arising out of a leveraged buyout.
- Represented the officers and directors of a plastic bottle manufacturer in a securities class action arising out of an initial public offering.
- Represented the officers and directors of a credit card issuer in class actions brought under the 1934 Act, the 1933 Act, and ERISA.
- Represented hedge funds responding to SEC investigations.
- Assisted in the defense of the executor of an estate facing libel and defamation allegations in connection with statements contained in a biography about the Pulitzer Prize-winning decedent regarding a mistress.
- Assisted in the defense of a radio station facing a defamation case.
Through his work with the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania, Sandy also has represented clients bringing First Amendment and other constitutional claims. He also represented on a pro bono basis a group of same-sex couples who brought a constitutional challenge to Pennsylvania’s ban on same-sex marriage.
Before joining Saul Ewing, he practiced for six years at an international law firm in Philadelphia.