Emily H. Edmunds
Emily Edmunds is a labor and employment counselor and litigator who advises clients on employment matters from hiring to firing. Her work includes issues related to family and medical leave, disability and accommodation, employee terminations and discipline, employer policies and handbooks, and restrictive covenants.Emily also provides on-site training sessions on FLSA compliance, Title VII, and other employment issues. Emily advises clients on revisions to existing employment policies and handbooks, and works with clients to develop new policies.
Emily also handles employment-related litigation in Pennsylvania state and federal courts and before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission (PHRC), including wage and hour claims, discrimination and harassment claims, and disability claims. While she can represent a vast array of companies, her practice focuses on clients in the higher education, health care, insurance, and financial services industries.
Emily also handles a variety of commercial litigation in Pennsylvania state, federal, and appellate courts.
Labor and Employment Experience
Defense of select clients includes:
- A real estate management company in reverse gender and age discrimination claims, resulting in a defense win
- A Pennsylvania university in PHRC charge of race discrimination, resulting in finding of no probable cause for discrimination
- A Pennsylvania university in Office of Civil Rights investigation of allegation of disability discrimination against student, resulting in finding of no discrimination • A health care provider in wage and hour case brought by former employee and obtained dismissal of all claims
- A health care management company against sexual harassment and wrongful discharge claims brought by a former employee
- A Pennsylvania university in class action claim regarding inaccessible parking areas
- A Pennsylvania private school in PHRC charge of disability discrimination brought by student
- First-chaired three-day trial before Pennsylvania Board of Claims on behalf of Pennsylvania technical/vocational educational institution involving breach of contract for services provided to state agency under Procurement Code, which resulted in award of damages and interest for institution
- Second-chairing nine-day trial before the Environmental Hearing Board involving the denial of a developer's requested planning module for a 13-lot subdivision in Chester County, Pennsylvania
- Defended life insurance company against claims brought by an insured related to fraud allegedly perpetrated by her insurance agent, resulting in dismissal of all claims
- Defended a real estate agency in numerous fraud and misrepresentation claims brought by homeowners
- Representing Pennsylvania bank in legal malpractice action
- Representing Pennsylvania bank in quiet title action
- Represents structured settlement and lottery prize assignment funding companies to secure court approval of structured settlements and lottery prize assignments under the Pennsylvania Structured Settlement Protection Act and the Pennsylvania Lottery Law .
While in law school, Emily interned for the Honorable J. Michael Eakin, former Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice, and volunteered with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. Prior to attending law school, she was a legal assistant at a Lancaster, Pennsylvania law firm.
- 1 of 5
- next ›
- 1 of 3
- next ›
- 1 of 2
- next ›