Gary B. Eidelman
Gary Eidelman represents employers in labor and employment law and business matters, with a particular emphasis on non-compete, restrictive covenant and trade secret counseling and litigation. A Fellow in the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Gary is recognized by clients for his proactive, business-oriented approach to solving their problems. Gary’s clients come from across the business spectrum and range from one of the world’s largest publicly traded insurance brokers and one of the country’s largest insurance and financial services firms to one of the region’s fastest growing technology government contractors.
Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets
A significant portion of Gary’s practice involves actions related to drafting, prosecuting and defending restrictive covenants, trade secrets, unfair competition and employee raiding claims, including covenants not to compete, non-solicitation agreements, tortious interference, conspiracy and breaches of the duty of loyalty under federal and state law. Collaborating extensively with in-house counsel and senior management, Gary has obtained and defeated numerous motions for temporary restraining orders, and preliminary and permanent injunctions. His representation in federal and state courts around the country has led to clients recovering millions of dollars in damages caused by former employees.
Select representations include:
- Served as lead counsel to an insurance broker and secured a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction preventing an executive officer from working for a competitor during a “garden leave” period.
- Served as lead counsel to an insurance broker and obtained an order to show cause with temporary and preliminary restraints enjoining a producer from violating her two year restrictive covenants set forth in her employment agreement.
- Defended an insurance company in federal court in an action brought by a competitor alleging misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Served as lead counsel in multiple actions involving competitor raids and breaches of fiduciary duty, resulting in financial settlements for the firm’s clients.
- Represent employer in employment contract dispute against former CEO, defeat summary judgment for employee and obtain summary judgment for employer as the non-moving party
Gary’s experience as a counselor and advocate for clients includes handling employment discrimination, workplace harassment, disability and leave, occupational safety and health, wrongful discharge and wage and hour cases. He has represented clients as lead counsel before administrative agencies, arbitration tribunals and state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Select representations include:
- Served as lead counsel to a government contractor in securing dismissal of a religious discrimination and retaliation case filed in federal court.
- Served as co-lead counsel in defending a federal and state law wage and hour collective and class action brought against a telecommunications company.
- Served as lead counsel to health care provider in resolving claims for racial harassment.
- Represented numerous clients in litigating and resolving workplace safety complaints at the administrative level.
Affirmative Action Compliance
Gary also helps clients create and prepare affirmative action programs to comply with government laws and regulations. His experience includes defending numerous OFCCP affirmative action audits for companies in the insurance, manufacturing, telecommunications, mapping and distribution industries.
General Business Counseling
As an outgrowth of his business-oriented labor and employment practice, Gary often serves as the “go to” lawyer for clients on a variety of other legal matters including general business, real estate and litigation issues. This often results in collaboration with lawyers from different practice groups in the firm who bring their own knowledge and skill sets to the client relationship.
In addition to his client work, Gary has long been active and holds leadership positions in the American Bar Association’s Section of Labor and Employment Law and is a regular presenter at the Labor Section’s annual national CLE conference. He holds several leadership positions within the firm including member of the Executive Committee, Vice Chair of the Business and Finance Department and Vice Managing Partner of the Baltimore office (a/k/a the “BVOMP”). He also serves on several non-profit boards within the greater Baltimore community.
- 1 of 7
- next ›
- 1 of 4
- next ›
Alerts & Newsletters