Jeremy F. Heinnickel
Jeremy Heinnickel has extensive experience advising insurance clients on regulatory, corporate, and transactional matters. He also handles litigation in various insurance-related cases in state and federal court, and before regulatory agencies.
Jeremy regularly provides regulatory advice to clients on federal and state insurance laws. He has extensive experience working on multi-state regulatory issues for insurers on a variety of issues, including licensing, rate and form filings, unfair discrimination, underwriting limitations, rebating, reporting requirements, investment limitations, transacting an unauthorized insurance business, risk-based capital regulations, policy cancellation and non-renewal requirements, and forming captive insurers. Jeremy also focuses on advising insurance company clients on compliance with federal and state electronic transaction laws. Further, Jeremy represents clients in connection with the regulatory aspects of mergers and acquisitions of insurance companies, as well as in demutualizations.
- Conducting multi-state compliance projects for insurance companies.
- Analyzing an insurance company’s electronic application process to determine whether it complies with electronic transaction laws.
- Advising client regarding conversion of stock insurance company to mutual insurance carrier.
Corporate / Transactional
Jeremy has experience in corporate transactions involving mergers and acquisitions, and represents both buyers and sellers of insurance companies. Additionally, he advises boards of directors on matters of corporate governance and fiduciary duties, and drafts organizational documents and bylaws. He also has experience drafting and analyzing insurance policies and other complex contracts, including exclusive endorsement agreements.
- Advising a health insurance company in connection with the acquisition of a dental insurance carrier.
- Advising a non-profit association regarding the sale of its insurance subsidiary.
Jeremy represents insurance clients in various contractual and regulatory disputes before state and federal courts and regulatory agencies. Specifically, Jeremy has extensive experience litigating insurance coverage cases. His cases involve a wide variety of policies, including property, liability, excess, umbrella, directors and officers, errors and omissions, and mortgage insurance.
- Litigating numerous cases involving insurance coverage for construction defects.
- Representing clients in cases involving mortgage securitizations in connection with mortgage insurance coverage.
- Representing a client in the appraisal process for a property insurance claim involving the rupture of a steam pipe line.