Steven C. Reingold
Steven Reingold handles a broad array of litigation matters for clients throughout the country, including general commercial litigation and related risk management and avoidance, management‐side employment counseling and litigation, and business bankruptcy and bankruptcy litigation. Steven’s litigation and consulting experience includes participating as lead counsel or co‐counsel in complex commercial and bankruptcy-related disputes resolved through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation, as well as advising clients regarding, and drafting documents pertaining to, employment, contractual, and numerous other business‐related issues.
In his bankruptcy practice, Steven represents debtors, official creditors’ committees, trustees, creditors, and other interested parties in insolvency proceedings involving companies of varying sizes and industries. In addition, Steven counsels clients on issues relating to the restructuring of debt and alternatives to bankruptcy, including out-of-court workouts, sales of assets to strategic buyers, equity infusions, assignments for the benefit of creditors, and compositions. He also participates, from the initial investigation through the post-trial stage, in complex commercial and bankruptcy-related litigation matters. Steven has served as an adjunct professor at New England School of Law, where he taught a class in Legal Research and Writing.
- In a case of first impression, with wide-ranging implications, successfully prosecuted a motion in federal district court seeking the dismissal of wrongful death claims asserted against two reorganized asbestos companies by a personal injury trust created as part of the companies’ Chapter 11 plan of reorganization. In addition, successfully defended the district court’s decision on appeal.
- Acts as lead counsel to a provider of foreign exchange trading solutions and a liquidity provider in an adversary proceeding involving the failure of a foreign exchange trader, in which breach of fiduciary duty, alter ego, and fraudulent transfer claims are amongst those at issue.
- Served as counsel to the official creditors’ committee of a Bermuda-based company and its five subsidiaries, which were specialty providers of workers’ compensation insurance products and services, and against which more than 2,300 claims totaling in excess of $1.5 billion were asserted. In addition, represented the Liquidating Trustee in analyzing, asserting and resolving litigation claims against the companies’ former directors and officers, and in related matters.
- Represented the Litigation Trustee appointed in the Chapter 11 cases of the country’s second-largest ambulance service provider in the investigation, analysis and prosecution of claims against the company’s former chief executive officer and former directors.
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors, whose constituency held claims totaling in excess of $500 million, in the Chapter 11 cases of a group of companies owning and operating the third largest power generating portfolio in New England and laboring under a debt load that exceeded $1.9 billion as of the petition date.
- Served as counsel to the official creditors’ committee in the Chapter 11 cases filed by the operators of a casino and greyhound racetrack that represents the third-largest source of revenue for the State of Rhode Island and that had $575 million in total indebtedness and $130 million in operating revenues at the time of filing.
- Initiated federal district court litigation for a Chapter 7 trustee against a bank used by a debtor’s principals to further a check-kiting scheme, and successfully opposed the bank’s motion to dismiss the trustee’s claims.
- Served as lead counsel for the former chief executive officer and president of a group of industrial manufacturing and service businesses in an action involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty and gross negligence.
- Represented an international communications company in arbitration and litigation involving the construction and operation of an underground fiber optic telecommunications network.
- Successfully appealed to a federal district court, and obtained an order reversing, a bankruptcy court’s preliminary injunction barring two former corporate officers of a debtor from competing against the debtor and using materials it alleged constituted trade secrets and confidential information.
- Investigated and successfully resolved, through litigation and mediation, construction defect claims and related claims for breach of contract, negligence, and unfair trade practices asserted on behalf of the owner of a residential apartment building.
- Prosecuted reverse discrimination claims, including claims for unequal compensation, failure to promote, and hostile work environment, on behalf of a former executive of a multinational corporation.
- Successfully represented seven state court judges, two local officials and a state official in an action seeking the expungement of financing statements filed unlawfully by a disgruntled litigant.
Alerts & Newsletters