William D. Nussbaum
Bill Nussbaum handles complex litigation for colleges, universities and other institutions of learning that are facing sensitive disputes around issues such as racial and gender discrimination and employee misconduct. His skill at managing legal teams to present difficult cases comes from 37 years of experience handling general civil litigation, including more than 80 jury and many more non-jury trials and injunction proceedings in federal and state courts, as well as arbitrations and other contested matters throughout the United States and overseas.
Bill’s clients in higher education, telecommunications, insurance and numerous other industries have also depended on his legal counsel for matters involving breach of contract, personal injury, insurance coverage, health care and customs law. Before he went into private practice in 1984, Bill honed his trial skills as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, where he tried criminal cases and presented hundreds of cases to grand juries. He twice received the Department of Justice Special Achievement Award.
Bill has more than 20 years of experience representing colleges and universities in litigation and providing counsel in a broad range of matters. His experience also extends to secondary schools and educational organizations.
- Obtained jury verdicts for major university clients in four Title VII or D.C. Human Rights Act cases alleging race discrimination, retaliation, gender discrimination, and/or national origin discrimination.
- Obtained verdict and judgment for $562,000 following bench trial for major university client in contest with other beneficiaries over a charitable bequest in a will.
- Obtained $1 million award for non-profit scientific and educational organization on counterclaim and rejection of claimant’s demand for $15 million in lost profits damages following trial in arbitration relating to license agreement between claimant and client.
Bill’s experience representing clients in the telecommunications industry includes handling matters related to trade secrets, contract disputes and a variety of other matters.
- Obtained jury verdict for telecommunications client in case in which plaintiff sought $400 million in damages for alleged misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Obtained $52 million award from arbitral tribunal of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution for satellite owner to whom respondent launch services provider refused to return prepayments after client properly terminated launch contract due to respondent’s inability to perform.
- Obtained $5 million verdict for telecommunications client on counterclaims for breach of contract and fraud following jury’s rejection of plaintiff’s $48 million claim under cellphone distribution licensing agreement.
General litigation experience
- Obtained jury verdict for client in suit brought by former CEO seeking $60 million in stock options allegedly wrongfully withheld.
- Obtained award following trial in Moscow before the London Court of International Arbitration in favor of municipal client in matter brought by major U.S. bank seeking $300 million loan repayment.
- Obtained $2 million jury verdict for landlord on counterclaim for amount due under lease following jury’s rejection of plaintiff’s $12 million breach of contract claim.
- Obtained $1 million jury verdict for inventor of thermal-insulated window treatment product for defendant manufacturer’s breach of patent-license agreement.
The depth of Bill’s trial experience is reinforced by his selection as a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, an organization whose members must have at least 15 years of active trial work and are highly regarded lawyers in their state.
- 1 of 2
- next ›
Alerts & Newsletters