As no two bankruptcies are identical, Saul Ewing LLP attorneys customize representation to debtors, creditors and trustees in such areas as:
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings
- Out-of-court workouts
- Loan restructurings
- Corporate reorganizations
- Section 363 bankruptcy sales
- Chapter 7 liquidations
- Directors & officers liability issues
- General insolvency matters
Our commercial bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys counsel clients throughout the multiple phases of Chapter 11 and reorganization proceedings, from commencement to plan confirmation, handling matters ranging from straightforward Chapter 11's to complex restructurings.
Saul Ewing attorneys have achieved a high-level of respect in bankruptcy and district courts along the East Coast, including in Delaware courts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Related bankruptcy litigation and insurance industry insolvencies are areas of significant practice depth.
Bankruptcy and restructuring clients
Saul Ewing's representation of Chapter 11 and restructuring clients includes:
- Board members
- Creditors, secured and unsecured
- Creditors' committees
- Debtors, debtors in possession
- Equity committees
- Landlords and other lessors
- Plaintiffs and defendants in debtors' litigation claims
- Purchasers and sellers of distressed assets
Clients can expect personal attention and timely updates on key benchmarks from the earliest stage of their cases.
As part of our representation in debtors and creditors cases, we regularly negotiate and resolve contested plan-confirmation proceedings. We also manage executory contract disputes, claims objections, and adversary proceedings to avoid pre-petition transfers to creditors.
In this post-financial crisis era, Saul Ewing is advising an increasing number of directors and officers concerning fiduciary duties and in investigating potential claims arising from insolvencies.
Bankruptcy leadership and practice approach
Saul Ewing attorneys are leaders in local and national bankruptcy organizations, and provide commentary as authors and media experts on emerging bankruptcy law issues.
We serve as board members in the Turnaround Management Association (TMA), including as chairman of the Philadelphia Chapter of TMA and on the Board of Trustees for International TMA.
Our attorneys are affiliated with several Bar-Bench and trade associations including the Advisory Committee on the Local Rules of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland, the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, and Bankruptcy Task Force of the International Council of Shopping Centers.
Saul Ewing's reputation within bankruptcy networks reflects the diversity and depth of our experience and an efficient and strategic approach to case management. One notable resource at clients' disposal is the resident intelligence of a full-service firm. When affiliated issues arise, our bankruptcy team seamlessly collaborates with firm colleagues who are leading lawyers in such areas as litigation, securities, corporate, tax and insurance law.
See Related Services Offered for Bankruptcy and Restructuring
The group includes attorneys who have been named to the following lists:
- Chambers USA
- Super Lawyers
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Turnaround Management Association
- Turnaround Management Association, Philadelphia, Chesapeake, New Jersey Chapters
- New York Institute of Credit
- American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants
- Commercial Law League of America
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Greater Maryland Network
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Garden State Credit Association
- Bankruptcy Task Force, International Council of Shopping Centers