Whether you need to defend a great result or seek to overturn an unfavorable one, a jury’s verdict or a judge’s ruling rarely means that a case is over. Facing an appeals court battle can feel daunting, and even a skilled trial attorney may not always have the tools you need to cement your victory or battle for a reversal on appeal.
Saul Ewing attorneys appreciate the strategic choices you face in deciding whether to pursue an appeal with a forceful defense or negotiate a post-trial resolution. We also understand the nuances and complexities of appellate practice, which enables us to provide pragmatic counsel focused on achieving positive and enduring results. Our experience in the country’s state appellate and supreme courts, federal courts of appeals, and the United States Supreme Court gives us a deep appreciation and understanding of the different approaches that work across appellate forums and the ways to present arguments that resonate with appellate judges. Our strong record of appellate advocacy is built on our ability to provide powerful written submissions, skillful oral arguments and nimble responses to opposing arguments and pointed questions from the bench.
Our attorneys draw insight from their prior work as law clerks for appellate judges and contributions to prestigious law reviews and journals. Our attorneys also have a broad range of governmental experience that makes us well-prepared for the courtroom in appellate matters, including former roles as:
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Chief Deputy Attorney General, State of Maryland
- Chief and Deputy Attorney General for Litigation Section of Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General
- Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia
- Appellate Attorney in the Tax Division of the U.S. Justice Department
- Chief Deputy City Solicitor and Chief of Major Trials, City of Philadelphia Law Department
- Assistant District Attorney in the Philadelphia District
- First Assistant District Attorney in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
- Assistant Attorney General to the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Special Assistant State’s Attorney in Baltimore County, Maryland
Together, these broad experiences are invaluable in helping us advise our clients on the viability of an appeal, effectively identify and brief issues and make impactful arguments in court.
The group includes attorneys who have been named to the following lists: