Attorneys in Saul Ewing’s Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group assist clients in developing and protecting their brands, which are often a company's most important asset. Our attorneys are experienced in registering trademarks and service marks for a variety of clients in numerous industries throughout the United States. We also have a strong international legal network that we rely on to register and maintain trademark applications and registrations throughout the world. The attorneys at Saul Ewing have experience not only in securing trademarks for our clients, but also in litigating trademark disputes.
The firm's Trademark team handles the full range of trademark needs, including:
- Providing mark selection counseling
- Developing national and international trademark registration strategies consistent with existing and proposed business operations
- Performing clearance searches to confirm availability of the mark for use and registration
- Drafting, filing, and prosecuting trademark applications to completion, both domestically and internationally
- Managing and maintaining existing trademark portfolios
- Representing clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Performing portfolio, product and marketing material audits to ensure continued trademark strength
- Negotiating and drafting licensing, product development, distribution, manufacturing and merchandising agreements
- Policing our clients' marks by monitoring competition and enforcing marks through litigation or informal means
- Litigating trademark infringement and unfair competition lawsuits in federal courts throughout the U.S.
- Bringing and defending against motions for temporary restraining orders (TROs)
- Collaborating with our business lawyers to conduct adequate due diligence in business transactional support, including the identification and transfer of valuable trademark assets
- Conducting domain name dispute proceedings to recapture domain names from cybersquatters
The group includes attorneys who have been named to the following lists: