Joel M. Hurwitz is a problem solver with a broad-based practice focusing on the representation of corporations, high net worth individuals and financial institutions, pertaining to real estate transactions; development and leasing; trust and estate administration; corporate formation and operating issues; elder law matters; and lending related matters, including asset-based lending, letters of credit, mortgage lending and workouts. He has testified in court proceedings as an expert witness concerning reasonable attorneys’ fees in contested mortgage foreclosures, contract interpretation in partnership disputes, and best practices in real estate transactions. Prior to handling business, trusts and real estate matters, Joel was a commercial litigator. He won one of Illinois’ leading cases concerning creditor’s rights and contract interpretation, which he successfully argued in the Illinois Supreme Court. His broad experience in litigation and business transactions enables him to serve as a trusted advisor and advocate, rendering counsel and services in a cost-effective manner.
Joel previously taught real estate drafting at Chicago Kent Law School.
- Represented a financial institution in a build-lease transaction of approximately $85 million for the construction and occupancy of its worldwide headquarters in Mettawa, Illinois. This transaction was named the “Deal of the Year” by the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.
- Represented financial institutions in the sale and transfer of an aggregate of over one billion dollars in mortgage loans and the transfer of entire land trust departments.
- Represented individuals and families in the contested administration of multi-million dollar trusts and estates.
- Represented the office developer of Block 37 in Chicago, Illinois, with respect to the acquisition, construction, reciprocal easements and lease issues in the office tower portion of the Block 37 development.
- Represented shopping mall owner in $250 million of loans secured by mortgages on several shopping malls throughout the United States.
- Structured and implemented a workout and refinance of multiple loans from several financial institutions exceeding $100 million secured by commercial real estate in several jurisdictions.
- 1 of 2
- next ›
Alerts & Newsletters